05 June 2008

I want to ride my bicycle


I was recently gifted with a bicycle, on semi-permanent loan. 
The idea of two wheeled transportation in a city notorious for it's asshole drivers is a bit daunting- but as my age and my waist-line both continue to advance, I figure now is the time to take the bull by the horns, the bike by the handlebars and just throw caution to the wind.

It's been slow going. I'm infamously out of shape and pushing myself on the bike has caused muscles I haven't used in an age to revolt against me- I see tonight being an epsom salts kind of night. Add to that the discomfort of trusting drivers to NOT kill me, people opening doors, kids running out in the middle of the street, and you have me in a situation I'm really not used to: loss of control.

So far, I'm liking it. Robin and I intend to start taking out our bikes every night, as weather permits. I think it'll be good for both of us.


No comments: