10 June 2008

Crazy from the Heat



I think it's expected of everyone right now to be complaining about the heat and the price of gas. So... this will be my combo post of both woes.

As someone who commutes 72 miles a day, four days a week, I'm obviously feeling sodomized by the gas companies these days. I was 'lucky' enough to get gas today for $3.97 9/10 today in Delaware.  The line for that 'discount' price was about 40 minutes long and almost inspired at least one fist fight that I saw. The price per gallon at the station nearest my house is $4.17/cash $4.29/credit. 

Well THAT'S practical. Luckily I drive a shitty older car. It's part of my 'owning a car in Philly' plan, which consists of the following logic:

If you have a car in Philly, people are going to vandalize it and/or try to break into or steal it. So buy a shitty cheap car. When that car falls apart, buy another one. Cash. No payments.  Rinse, repeat.

So, using that failsafe plan, I drive a 1996 Nissan Sentra with 200,000 miles on it and  a slow unfixable oil leak. And you know what? This little som'bitch gets me dang near 35mpg. That's one fill up per week if I time it right. $45/week. Not bad really, but I see it getting MUCH worse as the summer approaches. 

I don't use my car socially or for errands- it's strictly for work. On the weekends, foot or bike. But, not to sound like my Dad or anything, I remember when I first started at the megacorp I work for- gas was around $.89/gallon. Fast forward 7 years (and a terrible Presidency) and you have predictions of $4.50/g by the end of the week.

That's pretty much my gas rant. Now on to the weather.

I was sent home from work today because of the temperature. It hit 99*f (37*c) at around noon. External temp. Internally it was hotter. Safety first, we couldn't work- so I came home to sit in my bedroom, complete with conditioned air.  The AC is currently set on 60*f...

Last temperature reading said it's 89* in here. Fun.

You'd think being born and raised in Florida I'd be used to this. Think again, bucko. There's something special about pouring 7.5 gallons of water out of the dehumidifier in the basement every day. Jesus.

I'm going to go take a cold bath. Phooey to this.

No comments: