11 June 2008

Go to sleep little ugly, Go to sleep little fool

Last night, thanks to a thunderstorm, the heat and humidity finally broke. After taking my beloved melatonin, I opened my blinds just enough to watch the lightning, and drifted off to sleep. 

I woke up several times over the course of the night- asking for more than 5 hours sleep is too much these days, even with the melatonin, but it's a LOT better than the 2 hours I used to manage.  As I floated in and out of sleep I was disappointed by the lack of ferocity that the storm carried with it. The winds were barely howling, the thunder few and far between and the lightning, while impressive, didn't last as long as I would have liked.

Growing up in Florida, you get used to a certain kind of storm- the kind that seems to have hell comin' behind it, ripping up pieces of your barn, uprooting trees and causing chaos for 15 hours at a spell.... We don't really get those kinds of storms up here.

*Portrait of me sleeping by Rain Polsky; Brokenumbrella.com

No comments: