08 August 2008

Jayson Kilroy. Rest in Peace



Several weeks ago, I sat in quiet contemplation thinking about the life and death of my friend Keith Alexander. Three years ago Keith was killed in a bicycle accident.  Every year on 11th July I try to deal with the ramifications of never being able to talk to my friend again. I deal with the legacy he left us, and the lessons he taught me. Death has been kind to me in my time; with few exceptions the people I care about have been safe and sound.

On Thursday morning, I woke up to a message from  Scotty in Colorado, notifying me that my friend Jayson Kilroy had been in a cycling accident and was pronounced dead on scene along with his friend Edgar Juarez.

Jayson and I weren't super-close, but he always had a kind word to say when I needed it; a snarky word when I wanted it and a sleazy word when it was warranted. He was far from perfect, but he was a friend. Of Edgar I knew nothing, but I'm told he was a very sweet guy who will, like Jayson, be greatly missed.

Whenever I hear the words "Get it" I'll remember a great kid who despite his flaws always put a smile on the faces of those he loved.

"Colorado Springs police tell 11 News one woman has been arrested for fatally hitting two cyclists with her truck Wednesday night on the west side of Colorado Springs.

It happened around 7:30 p.m. at the intersection of 26th Street and Westend Avenue.

Police say a group of about five cyclists were riding north on 26th Street when a truck heading southbound made a left hand turn and hit the two lead riders.

Two riders, 30-year-old Edgar Juarez, 30 and Jayson Kilroy, 28, both of Colorado Springs were pronounced dead on scene.

The driver of the truck, 63-year-old Barbara Thomas, has been arrested, accused of vehicular homicide, driving under the influence of drugs, and driving with a restricted license."

No comments: